Why is Zonta needed?
- Gender equality is a long way off.
- 60% of the world’s illiterate are women.
- Globally, women earn 24% less than men.
- 1 in 3 women experience physical or sexual violence.
- According to the Australian Human Rights Commission, it is estimated that violence against women and children will cost the Australian economy $15.6 billion per year by 2021-2022 unless decisive action is taken to prevent it.
- More than smoking or obesity, domestic and family violence is the leading preventable cause of death, disability and illness in women aged 15 to 44 years.
Our Zonta Mission:
Zonta International is a leading global organisation of professionals empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy.
Our Zonta Vision:
We envision a world in which women’s rights are recognised as human rights and every woman is able to achieve her full potential.
In such a world, every woman has access to all resources and is represented in decision making positions on an equal basis with men.
In such a world, no woman lives in fear of violence.
Zonta International holds General Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council and Participatory Status with the Council of Europe.
Zonta teams engage in these important intergovernmental organizations to change the world for women.
Members comprise men and women in over 1,200 clubs in 63 countries.
The Zonta Club of Adelaide Inc
The Zonta Club of Adelaide is one of many clubs in District 23 that stretches across Australia and includes the states of WA, SA, NT, Tas and Vic.
Members come from all parts of metropolitan Adelaide. Currently the membership is made up of 38 women of all ages from all walks of life and many different professions.
Members of the Board 2021-2022
President: Maxine Panegyres
Vice President: Kaye Roberts-Thomson
Secretary: Colleen Tomlian
Treasurer: Desi Zed
And 4 Directors